Leaving the Dojo
Standing near the exit, face shomen and bow with a keirei. Bow as an oath and announce your complete name say
�kaerimasu, arigato gozaimashita
� (I am leaving, thank you very much)
Opening Salutation Procedure
When the instructor or senior assistant indicates that the class is to begin, the senior student should say
�Shugo or seiretsu
� (line up), and each student takes his or her designated position in the class. When the instructor is kneeling, the senior student says
� (kneel) and the assistant instructors and student kneel in order of seniority. The senior student says
� (mediate) once the instructor is mediating, and the rest of the class begins to mediate, sitting in the formal kneeling posture (Seiza) The instructor will indicate the end of the meditation with a single clap or the command
� mokuso yame
� (stop meditating).All face the founder, and on the senior students command
� So Seki Shihan Seki Ni Taishite and Soke Ni Taishite Rei, perform a ceremonial bow. All turn to face the instructor, and on command
�shihan sensei ni rei
� bow to the instructor and assistants.
This command is substituted with
�sensei sempai ni rei
� when no instructor of shihan level is present. All resume their initial kneeling position and facing each other and bow on the senior command �otagai ni rei
� Closing Salutation Procedure The closing salutation procedure takes a similar form to the opening. Arrival Late If you are late for whatever reason and the class has commenced then kneel at the back and close your eyes when you hear a double clap raise and bow, warm up and then wait for the instructor to indicate that you can join the class bow and say onegai shimasu
International Kenbu Kai Karate Kobudo Organization (IKKO)
The Pride of Okinawan and Japanese Karate-Do
In essence, Karate-Do is a set of techniques and mental attitudes systemised and codified in a martial arts which through a rigorous and systemised training of the mind and body, strive to achieve knowledge of oneself, others to ultimately create a state of complete harmony between oneself and the universe. It is a disciplined art that develops a strong body and perfection both of physical and spiritually in order to fully realise oneself.
The Values of IKKO
IKKO is essentially a martial art (budo) and such it is also a means of reaching the way (Do) by the practice of weapons (KOBUDO). As in any martial art. IKKO is, and requires solid discipline. The body must go through long and strenuous exercise for many years. Control is required over not only one's technique also emotions such as fear, pain and hate. As a fighting art.
IKKO involves the confrontation of two wills each determined to win. This develops qualities such as fortitude, but also humility and respect for oneself and others. IKKO is also a formidable means of self-defense, which does not require any particular weapon.
The weapon is the entire body. Its physical values are rather unique, it is an all round activity which equally develops every part of the body if the exercises are done in a proper and constructive sequence. All IKKO instructors are highly qualified in this aspect.
The exercise can be practiced alone or with a partner. Anyone of any age group can practice this art as it is flexible to suit any individual and the benefits are immense.
IKKO Mission and Aim
Karate and Kobudo was born when peace, the heart of the Okinawan people was incorporated with the spirit of Zen as embodied in the Chinese Shorin Temple Boxing. IKKO aims, therefore, is completely different from other martial arts. Whereas the chief aim of all other martial is killing and wounding as many opponents as possible.
IKKO Karate Kobudo primary concern is simply self-defense and perfection of character. Of defense and offense cannot exist without each other.
Consequently, training in superior defense necessitates training in superior offense techniques. Now, the growing interest in karate results not from the excellence of its techniques or the Oriental mystique, rather this interest stems from over-increasing appreciation for the spirit of Budo and the Okinawan Spirit of peace. The spirit of Karate and Kobudo must be understood and peace will come to the world through an appreciation of this spirit.
Purpose of IKKO
The IKKO is dedicated to the preservation of authentic traditional Okinawan and Japanese Martial Arts Worldwide. The Organization is has numerous technical advisors.
Kyoshi Shihan Imtiaz Abdulla is a student of the arts for over 45 years, holds ranks of 7th Dan in Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate and Motobu-Ha Shito Ryu as well as 7th Dan in Kobudo.
Shihan Abdulla is also the Headmaster the IKKO.
Benefits of IKKO membership and teaching
The following is the list of various benefits one receives from the membership to the IKKO. These benefits include:
* There are no affiliation fees to belong to the IKKO only pure dedication and loyalty
* The purpose of the IKKO is the establishment of an International Brotherhood to preserve and propagate authentic Traditional Okinawan and Japanese Martial Arts Worldwide.
* The IKKO is dead against substance abuse and the aim of the Organization is to make our societies a safe and happy one.
* The IKKO provides beginning, intermediate and advanced level training in a system incorporating both Okinawan Goju Ryu and Traditional Japanese Shito Ryu Karate and Kobudo, which roots originated from the 1600's
* The IKKO ranks and teaching licenses are accepted and recognised throughout the world.
* The IKKO holds and participates in Annual Training and Seminars by Top Japanese and Okinawan masters for all members in 80 countries throughout the world.
* The IKKO holds periodic Promotion Review Boards for its members, Black Belts grading are done every April and November at the Africa Honbu Dojo. All dojos promote independently from white belt to 3kyu. Grading certificate cost Enquire from Honbu by emailing us email@example.com.
* IKKO has a quarterly Regional Seminar by Shihan Imtiaz Abdulla.
* The multi-arts make up of IKKO provides the members with the unique opportunity to receive cross training in a variety of authentic traditional martial arts via the liaison relationship through the IKKO to Japan and Okinawa.
The words Kenbu Translates to the way of developing the spirit through hard and enjoyable way of serious martial arts.
The Organization emphasizes the principles of respect, courtesy and manner together with development of a character that creates an individual that is an asset to society.
Each Dojo is required to be registered with the IKKO. Dojo registration is on an annual basis (calendar year) upon which a Registration Certificate will be issued from the Headquarters.
Each Registered Dojo must be under the direction of an IKKO licensed Instructor (3rd Dan or Higher) or be sponsored by such an individual. All members of registered Dojo’s are individual’s members of IKKO.
Membership to IKKO will automatically include the individual as an affiliated member of IKKO in Okinawa and Japan individual affiliation is not charged for unless an individual membership book is requested at a cost of Enquire from Honbu by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org,
Dojo Affiliation fee should be enquired from Honbu by emailing email@example.com for year
Upon joining the IKKO each individual will be issued with an Organization Membership Card (OMC). Rank certifications are issued by the IKKO upon completion of the requirements.
Dojo's can grade from white belt to 3kyu grading certificates are only issued by the IKKO headquarters at a cost, this can be altered by the Chief instructor.
Dojo must send to the Headquarters all the records of members and Black Belts, together with the relevant registration fees, and any other information.
Previous rank certificates for new members must also be included.
Yearly Activities Each country and regional will beside other have to conduct a minimum number of activities as stipulated below
• 2 Gasshkus with Shihan Imtiaz in their country or region
• 1 Invitational Championships
• at least 3 x kyu’s gradings, where the a member of the Koen Kai must be present
• Submit for grading at least 5 students for Yudansha grades which is conducted twice per year in an area selected by the Chief Instructor
o All Koen Kai members must be present at the grading
o The cost for grading of Yudansha is as follows and can be changed by the Chief Instructor
Nidan $ 200.00
Sandan $ 300.00
Yondan $ 400.00
Godan and Above is by inviattion and application
Dojos however can charge any additional to these above mentioned rate as long as this is not abused.
• Countries and regions must attend the
2 x compulsory Instructors standardization course, which will be held every April and September at Honbu Dojo, this course is over an entire weekend, which shall include, administration, referees, technical syllabus understanding and instructor workshops
• All IKKO members shall support the annual IKKO National Championships which will be a championships for both Juniors and Seniors, held in a region as decided by the KoenKai
• The Old Instructor Association is the most senior body that helps the Chief Instructor in the effective running of the IKKO
• Only selected members selected by the Chief Instructor can serve on this body. Dojos will be advised on the composition of this committee.
• The committee will consist of 10 members of each 5 shall be permanent members, the committee shall be chaired by the Chief Instructor
• The Koen Kai shall arrange one international trip outside the Continent for purposes of development of the IKKO
• Every two years there shall be an Open International Held in South Africa which shall serve as a convention of all international instructors of both Kenbu Kai Administration
• The Chief Instructor shall appoint an administrator in the Office of the Chairman (Chief Instructor) who shall be the official voice piece of the IKKO
• All Administration shall be operated from the office of the Chief Instructor and all grading records and other items shall reside ion this office
• Every Year during the month of January a Kagami Baraki will be held at Honbu Dojo where all members of IKKO are invited to participate, however the most important reason for such a meeting is to gather all Seniors and Sponsored Yudansha for a meeting to plan the New Year and to discussion points of common interest for the development of the IKKO.
This meeting will following the following agenda:-
o Opening and Welcome Chief Instructor
o Action for the Year
o Dates and Activities
o Technical Changes o Administrative Changes
o International Changes
o Closure Sponsored Yudansha
Every Senior grade Sandan and above will have
6 junior grades under their tutelage 2 Nidans,
in the case of Yodan 2 Sandans, 3 Shodans, who will be mentored under their tutelage to understand the operations and operations of the IKKO, each of these Yudansha shall be assigned a task which is for the betterment of the IKKO.
These Yudansha will be uchi deshi under the tutelage of the respective senior for a period of
3 years for Sandan,
2 Years for Nidan,
1 Year for Shodan which in effect means that they will be with the senior at all times during all activities of IKKO.
Therefore the selection of these individuals is important as they must have the development of IKKO at heart Regional Heads The Koen Kai in consultation with the Chief Instructor can appoint regional head who will be answerable to the Koen Kai member, all new members will be given a minimum transition period according to his existing grade. In this time the Koen Kai will develop his transition taking into consideration the following:-
• His Training and conversion to the IKKO • His Grading conversion into the IKKO
• His Commitment and understanding of the Rules and Regulation
• His contribution of dues and other fees In the transition period the transition dojo shall have the following benefits:-
• Use of the Name IKKO
• Able to training the syllabus of IKKO
• Participate under the sponsor of the Koen Kai member in IKKO activities
• Member of the club shall be allowed to participate in grading under the sponsorship of the Koen Kai member It is only after this transition, will the transition dojo be accepted fully into the IKKO, and will be regarded as a IKKO member in good standing. Join us today and be part of this important Budo family.
Learn authentic Okinawan Goju Ryu and Motobu- Ha Shito Ryu Karate and Kobudo.